Little did I know that the real journey in life
Is not finding someplace new``
But rediscovering someplace old
We are born innocent and full of light
But we live in a world that can easily steal our light
And though I have found light throughout my life
I could never hold onto it
Because I was not at peace
And although, I think absolute peace may not exist
I have now found relative peace
A place where I do not need to scream at someone for cutting
me off as I drive
Where I do not need to fret over lost or damaged possessions
Where my heart does not scream at rejection
And my strength does not wilt at the prospect
Where fighting the good fight is a reflex
Where helping others is its own reward
Where every problem has a solution rather than an excuse
Where calm pervades
Where patience is the overseer
And understanding is the guide
Where everyday is the first day of the rest of my life
And where the past is truly in the past
And does not reign over me
Or rain onto me
I have steered my ship through many storms of emotion
I have climbed over many mountains of fear
I have fought my demons and tamed them
And by doing so
I have found my way
Not to the end of a long road
But back to the beginning
My beginning
When my soul was pure
When I did not judge
When all I had to do to fly
Was fall asleep and dream
And when I dreamed
It was not of carnal pleasure
But of innocence and light
Of freedom and honor
And of romance and inner beauty
Yet now I stand in my birth-light having grown
Now I have the wisdom that staves off my weaknesses
Now I am equipped with insight instead of fear
Now I know myself
I know my faults and how to repair them
I know my fears and how to control them
I know my wants and how to pursue them
I know my needs
And I am strong enough to reach for them
I once read in a poem
That “there are men too gentle to live among wolves”
But I say that even the most gentle of men
Can learn to survive amongst wolves
And thrive
When he is true to his soul
And has the spirit to persevere
12/28/2013
© 2013 by David Stein. All rights reserved.
No comments:
Post a Comment